“The morning after” is a review of the previous night’s Flyers’ game which, in theory, provides a more objective perspective on the game.
- Braydon Coburn had another great game, tallying an assist and a few good scoring chances, including a smooth-skating coast-to-coast run in the third period. He finished the night a +2 and played 25 minutes.
- Sergei Bobrovksy — or Bodrovksy, if you’re from Minnesota — was stellar once again. The only crack in his armor was a lack of awareness that the delay of game penalty existed. Whoops.
- Erik Gustafsson is completely flying under the radar. He’s been great and has logged big minutes. In two games, he has an assist and has been very solid defensively. Last night, the 22-year-old played nearly 27 minutes and blocked three shots. Gustafsson also had seven points in five games for the Phantoms last season. Why aren’t more people talking about him?
- The chemistry between Nikolai Zherdev and Claude Giroux continued to develop throughout the game and it’s likely they’ll be on a line together at some point in the regular season. Giroux is at his best when he is paired line with someone who is on the same wavelength. Danny Briere and Zherdev may be the two best-suited players to match with him in that regard. The downside is, there would be defensive deficiencies on any of these line combinations.
- Bill Guerin played another good game but played somewhat limited minutes. He saw 14:34 of ice time, which is surprising. After Dan Carcillo got booted from the game, it should have opened up more of an opportunity for him to play.