The big rumor today was that the Flyers and Predators were working on a deal to send Scott Hartnell back to Nashville. How did this come to be?
- When the Flyers were originally shopping Mike Richards and Jeff Carter, Hartnell was apparently on the block too.
- Hartnell is the last remaining member of the Center City crew.
- He is overpaid and the Flyers are tight against the cap.
- Nobody expected Mike Richards or Jeff Carter to be traded. Now, people are more willing to believe that anything is possible.
- Paul Holmgren said that both Brayden Schenn and Sean Couturier could make the team, which would require cap space and for the team to get under the 50-contract limit.
- Shawn created a fake retweet that was supposed to look like it was from the official Flyers account. It said that the Flyers traded Hartnell for Sergei Kostitsyn. He is also responsible for spreading the offseason rumor that Braydon Coburn was signed to an extension.
- Many people retweeted his post and the rumor exploded from there.
- Alleged “sources” on Twitter began writing articles about this trade.
- Legitimate beat writers with actual sources shot down this rumor but admitted the Flyers could be looking to trade salary.
Below, you will find a timeline of tweets related to this rumor. Much like a Twitter timeline, the older posts are at the bottom.
EDIT: It’s worth noting that this doesn’t necessarily mean that Hartnell won’t or can’t get traded. Anything’s possible.