Here we are in December with little to do in this tough lockout time. What’s a blog to do? Well, it looks like a 12 Days of Christmas-themed series of posts is the way to go. But, we realize that all of you hockey fans aren’t into Christmas, so we’ve named it after the man nicknamed Orange Jesus and called it Claudemas.
On the twelfth day of Claudemas, Flyers Faithful gave to me…twelve reasons to love Simon Gagne (in no particular order).
1) He’s got great flow.
2) He’s also got a pretty great beard.
3) His role in this Coatesy’s Corner with Claude Giroux.
4) He’s the star of one of my favorite commercials ever.
5) He’s just flat out likable in every sense of the word, as evidenced by his being voted the most loved Flyer of the past decade in our Dazzlers and Duds tournament.
6) His shootout/breakaway move. Yes, he was only 5 for 19 in shootouts as a Flyer by my count; but he sure was determined. You knew he was making this move every time. I have nothing to back this up, but I feel like it worked on breakaways more than shootouts. (I’m very scientific…clearly.)
7) For this overtime goal against the Rangers, seven seconds into overtime when he blows by everybody on a faceoff and deposits the game winner.
8) The only time he ever got mad. After Anton Volchenkov got him with a questionable hit Gagne decided to take things into his own hands.
9) The Peter Forsberg – Simon Gagne connection; specifically those two goals against Pittsburgh that looked identical. They are the two goals found just after the one minute mark on this video.
10) Returning from injury in Game 4 against Boston in the 2010 Conference Semi-Finals and beginning the historic comeback with the overtime goal.
11) This overtime goal in Game 6 of the 2004 Eastern Conference Finals against Tampa Bay.
12) This game winning goal in Game 7 of the 2010 Conference Semi-Finals against Boston, completing the historic comeback from down 0-3 in the series and 0-3 in the game.