Phantoms-Falcons game suspended due to scary incident

On Sunday, Adirondack Phantoms defenseman Brandon Manning was party to something no player wishes will ever happen, even in the heat of battle, not to himself, a teammate, nor a member of the opposition.

Manning and Falcons’ Wade MacLeod collided with 3:42 remaining in the second period of a game in Springfield, MA, one in which the Phantoms led by a 2-1 score. The force of the hit dropped MacLeod to the ice, and the 26-year-old winger suffered a seizure as a result of the impact, though not until he was skating back to the bench.

He was carted off the ice and taken to a local hospital for further evaluation, but the game itself was suspended from that juncture. The Falcons issued a statement on the matter minutes ago:

“Springfield Falcons forward Wade MacLeod was stable and alert after suffering a seizure following a hit into the glass during the second period of Sunday afternoon’s game against the Adirondack Phantoms. MacLeod was brought by ambulance to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield. Players and coaching staffs on each team unanimously agreed to postpone the game. Information on MacLeod’s status and a rescheduled game date will be announced when available on”

And Manning himself, weeks removed from his first carer AHL All-Star appearance back on January 28 in Providence, took to his personal Twitter to express his feelings:

“Would like to give my best to Wade MacLeod and his family. never had any intention of ever hurting another player…hope for a speedy recovery and see him back on the ice soon. thoughts and prayers to him and his family.”

MacLeod had assisted on Ryan Craig’s tally to open the scoring in the first period.

Adirondack countered with a first-period strike from Rob Bordson and a second-period marker by Danny Syvret. At the time play was suspended, starter Cal Heeter stopped 22-of-23 shots.

From Diana C. Nearhos of the Post Star: “Murray said the doctor who was on the ice with MacLeod addressed both teams. She said that MacLeod was stable and responsive and tried to explain what she saw to “take some of the concern away.

Murray also pointed out that the glass at the MassMutual Center is particularly hard and unforgiving.”

MacLeod, a British Columbia native who played collegiately for Northeastern from 2007-11, totaled four goals and 10 points in 19 games for the Falcons this season after spending time with Evansville of the ECHL. In 149 games — a school record — over four seasons with the Huskies, he racked up 61 goals and 137 points.

The Phantoms were participating in the last of a 3-for-3 weekend, which kicked off with a 4-2 win over Albany at home on Friday followed by a 3-2 home loss against the Worcester Sharks.

MacLeod’s family issued the following late Sunday night: “We would like to thank everyone for the overwhelming show of support for Wade tonight. Wade is alert, in good condition, in positive spirits, and is resting comfortably at Baystate Medical Center. He will remain at the hospital while he undergoes tests. We are deeply appreciative of all the caring and kind words we have received from family, friends, and fans.”