The playoffs for both the OHL and the WHL start this weekend, as four of the five teams in the two leagues that feature Philadelphia Flyers’ prospects advanced to the postseason.
In the OHL, the Oshawa Generals and the London Knights will have home-ice advantage in the opening round of the playoffs, while the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds will be on the road to start the 2013 OHL postseason.
The Generals finished third in the Eastern Conference and will play the Niagara IceDogs, who boast Ryan Strome, a forward that went fifth overall to the New York Islanders in the 2011 NHL Draft.
Unfortunately for Derek Mathers, his Peterborough Petes finished one point out of the playoff picture, as his club earned 59 points. Both the Kingston Frontenacs and Mississauga Steelheads accrued 60 points over their 68-game campaign to finish seventh and the eighth in the Eastern Conference.
In the Western Conference, Anthony Stolarz helped the Knights finish first with 105 points, as London was the only squad to break 100 points during the 2012-2013 regular season. Stolarz and his teammates will open the playoffs against the Saginaw Spirit, who finished with 32 wins and 71 points overall.
Also in the Western Conference are the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, who have Nick Cousins and Brandon Alderson on their squad. The Greyhounds finished sixth in the Western Conference and will start the postseason against the Owen Sound Attack, a team that finished the regular season with the most points for a team that didn’t win a division in the OHL. The Attack feature Cody Ceci, who went 15th overall in the 2012 NHL Draft to the Ottawa Senators.
As for Taylor Leier, his Portland Winterhawks finished first in the WHL’s Western Conference with a league-leading 117 points. Picked in the fourth round at 117th overall by the Philadelphia Flyers in last year’s NHL Draft, Leier finished with the most points for a left winger on Portland with 27 goals and 35 assists in 64 games. The Winterhawks start the postseason on Friday against the Everett Silvertips, who finished eighth in the Western Conference with 57 points.
In addition to the OHL and WHL playoff news, the Flyers’ organization signed forward Ben Holmstrom to a one-year extension through the 2013-2014 campaign. The Adirondack Phantoms’ captain will make $600,000 in the NHL and $285,000 in the AHL. Holmstrom hasn’t played the majority of this season due to a season-ending ACL injury that required the forward to have surgery.
- Nick Cousins (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, OHL) – 103 points (27 goals and 76 assists), plus-19, and 83 PIMs in 64 games.
- Brandon Alderson (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, OHL) – 64 points (28 goals and 36 assists), plus-13, and 64 PIMs in 67 games.
- Mitch Wahl (Abbotsford Heat, Adirondack Phantoms, and Utah Grizzlies) – 63 points (21 goals and 42 assists), minus-19, and 121 PIMs in 60 games.
- Taylor Leier (Portland Winterhawks, WHL) – 62 points (27 goals and 35 assists), plus-41, and 63 PIMs in 64 games.
- Scott Laughton (Philadelphia Flyers and Oshawa Generals) – 56 points (23 goals and 33 assists), plus-22, and 72 PIMs in 54 games.
- Jason Akeson (Adirondack Phantoms and Trenton Titans) – 48 points (15 goals and 33 assists), minus-14, and 30 PIMs in 61 games.
- Marcel Noebels (Adirondack Phantoms and Trenton Titans) – 44 points (19 goals and 25 assists), minus-9, and 16 PIMs in 59 games.
- Derek Mathers (Peterborough Petes, OHL) – 29 points (10 goals and 19 assists), plus-1, and 125 PIMs in 64 games.
- Tye McGinn (Philadelphia Flyers and Adirondack Phantoms) – 23 points (14 goals and Nine assists), minus-9, and 71 PIMs in 52 games.
- Harry Zolnierczyk (Philadelphia Flyers and Adirondack Phantoms) – 18 points (Nine goals and Nine assists), minus-12, and 90 PIMs in 56 games.
- Matt Mangene (Adirondack Phantoms and Trenton Titans) – 17 points (Five goals and 12 assists), minus-17, and 29 PIMs in 45 games.
- Shane Harper (Adirondack Phantoms and Trenton Titans) – 17 points (Eight goals and Nine assists), minus-16, and 33 PIMs in 50 games.
- Garrett Roe (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – 16 points (Seven goals and Nine assists), minus-2, and 33 PIMs in 42 games.
- Andrew Johnston (Adirondack Phantoms and Trenton Titans) – 16 points (Five goals and 11 assists), minus-16, and 13 PIMs in 46 games.
- Eric Wellwood (Philadelphia Flyers and Adirondack Phantoms) – 13 points (Seven goals and Six assists), minus-3, and eight PIMs in 53 games.
- Michael Parks (University of North Dakota, NCAA) – Eight points (Seven goals and One assist), minus-2, and 31 PIMs in 21 games.
- Ben Holmstrom (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – Eight points (Two goals and Six assists), plus-3, and 29 PIMs in 22 games.
- Tyler Brown (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – Six points (Three goals and Three assists), minus-10, and 28 PIMs in 51 games.
- Petr Placek (Harvard University, NCAA) – Two goals, minus-10, and 16 PIMs in 29 games.
- Blake Kessel (Adirondack Phantoms and Trenton Titans) – 31 points (Eight goals and 23 assists), minus-15, and 34 PIMs in 50 games.
- Colin Suellentrop (Oshawa Generals, OHL) – 25 points (Five goals and 20 assists), plus-3, and 56 PIMs in 66 games.
- Shayne Gostisbehere (Union College, NCAA) – 24 points (Seven goals and 17 assists) and 22 PIMs in 32 games.
- Erik Gustafsson (Philadelphia Flyers and Adirondack Phantoms) – 21 points (Four goals and 17 assists), minus-19, and 39 PIMs in 46 games.
- Brandon Manning (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – 19 points (Six goals and 13 assists), minus-27, and 118 PIMs in 59 games.
- Tyler Hostetter (Trenton Titans, ECHL) – 16 assists, minus-11, and 37 PIMs in 38 games.
- Nick Luukko (University of Vermont, NCAA) – 10 points (Three goals and Seven assists) and 26 PIMs in 36 games.
- Fredric Larsson (Brynas J20, SuperElit) – 10 points (Four goals and Six assists), plus-1, and 134 PIMs in 41 games.
- Valeri Vasilyev (Spartak Moscow, KHL and MHC Spartak, MHL) – Eight points (Three goals and Five assists), plus-2, and 65 PIMs in 53 games.
- Mark Alt (University of Minnesota, NCAA) – Seven assists, plus-19, and 20 PIMs in 37 games.
- Oliver Lauridsen (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – Six points (One goal and Five assists), minus-1, and 69 PIMs in 55 games.
- Matthew Konan (Adirondack Phantoms and Trenton Titans) – Five points (One goal and Four assists), minus-12, and 46 PIMs in 35 games.
- Marc-Andre Bourdon (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – Four points (One goal and Three assists), minus-5, and 59 PIMs in 17 games.
- Anthony Stolarz (London Knights and University of Nebraska-Omaha) – 13-3-2, 2.29 GAA, and .920 with the Knights. 2-5-0, 2.56 GAA, and .898 save percentage with the Mavericks.
- Cal Heeter (Adirondack Phantoms and Trenton Titans) – 8-13-2, 2.96 GAA, and .906 save percentage with Phantoms. 3-3-0, 3.07 GAA, and .903 save percentage with Titans.