At the suggestion of Scott Valletti, we are raising money to benefit the family of fallen Philadelphia fire fighter, Captain Michael Goodwin, who tragically lost his life this weekend.
Here’s the deal. We have a game date setup for Sunday, April 21. Since it is a tight deadline, we’re going all in here. If we can get enough registrants (30 skaters, 2 goalies)*, we will play. If not, your money will go straight to Goodwin’s family and we will send you a thank you package on behalf of Flyers Faithful.
Here are the details:
What: One-game, two-team Ice hockey fundraiser to benefit the family of Captain Goodwin
When: Sunday, April 21 from 3:15 p.m. – 4:45 p.m.
Where: Flyers Skate Zone, Pennsauken, NJ
Who: A bunch of awesome and caring people like you
Why: Because you’re selfless and like to help the community
- Usual details. You should know how to skate and play hockey. You need to have or borrow (in Alex’s case) a full set of ice hockey gear.
- You must be 18 or older to play.
- This will be a friendly game. Keep it clean.
- We will be doing a 50/50 raffle and hope to have other merchandise to raffle off as well.
- If you do not/cannot play, you are still encouraged to come, watch, volunteer, and/or donate! Attendance is free for all those who are not playing.
As opposed to most of our previous tournaments, we will not have any sponsors or jerseys for this event. So, bring a light and a dark jersey with you.Thanks to Scott, we will now have jerseys for each team. We did not ask anyone to captain either of the teams, due to the quick turnaround time. So, teams will be selected by throwing sticks, like our last game. Old school.
- As it turns out, we ended up having two captains and they drafted teams. View the teams at the link in the final bullet point of this post.
- Each player will be asked to sign a waiver prior to being allowed to play. You will receive this waiver via email in advance of game day.
- Please feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions or concerns.
- All spots have been filled.
- There will be an anthem singer, members of the mainstream media, and possibly a professional photographer at the event.
- It is likely, at this point, that we will have representatives from the Philadelphia Fire Department in attendance.
- All money raised will go to Firefighters Widow Fund c/o Local 22.
- Captain Goodwin’s wife will be in attendance.
- You can see what team you are on here.