The Philadelphia Flyers’ organization signed forward Petr Straka this week. The 6’0″ 194-pound skater is currently helping Baie-Comeau Drakkar of the QMJHL in their postseason run, as the club is set to take on Blainville-Boisbriand Armada in the semifinals.
Picked 55th overall by the Columbus Blue Jackets in the 2010 NHL Draft, Straka had 41 goals and 41 assists in 55 games for Baie-Comeau during the regular season. He also eight goals and 10 helpers in Drakkar’s eight postseason games so far this postseason, which is good enough for third overall in the QMJHL playoffs.
In the NCAA, Shayne Gostisbehere was named a 2013 Second Team AHCA All-American. As the third Union College blue liner in school history to earn All-American honors, Gostisbehere had 26 points in 36 games for the Dutchmen.
As for prospects in the AHL, Eric Wellwood suffered an extreme lower-body injury that could force him to miss up to a year of action.
In the Adirondack Phantoms’ game last Sunday against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, Wellwood crashed into the boards and resulted in his left skate cutting his right leg. According to Paul Holmgren, the forward tore 70 percent of his Achilles tendon and severed three other tendons that control movement of his foot. After he had surgery for the injury this past Thursday, Wellwood is expected to out for nine months to a year.
Anthony Stolarz is the only Flyers’ prospect still in the OHL postseason, as he and the London Knights advanced to the Western Conference Championship. The goaltender is 8-1-0, 1.76 GAA, and .946 save percentage in the Knights’ playoff run in 2013. London will begin their series against the Plymouth Whalers for the Wayne Gretzky Trophy on Friday.
As for Scott Laughton and Colin Suellentrop, the Oshawa Generals were swept by the Barrie Colts in the second round. Since the squad was eliminated, Laughton has joined the Phantoms. The Colts will take on the Belleville Bulls in the Eastern Conference Championship for the Bobby Orr Trophy starting on Friday.
In the WHL, Taylor Leier helped the Portland Winterhawks sweep the Spokane Chiefs on their way to the Western Conference Championship. Leier and his teammates will face the Kamloops Blazers in the Kal Tire Championship, which will start on Friday.
- Nick Cousins (Adirondack Phantoms and Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds) – 109 points (30 goals and 79 assists), plus-16, and 97 PIMs in 74 games.
- Petr Straka (Baie-Comeau Drakkar, QMJHL) – 100 points (49 goals and 51 assists), plus-43, and 38 PIMs in 63 games.
- Taylor Leier (Portland Winterhawks, WHL) – 72 points (32 goals and 40 assists), plus-48, and 65 PIMs in 74 games.
- Scott Laughton (Philadelphia Flyers, Adirondack Phantoms, and Oshawa Generals) – 71 points (31 goals and 40 assists), plus-34, and 69 PIMs in 59 games.
- Brandon Alderson (Adirondack Phantoms and Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds) – 68 points (29 goals and 39 assists), plus-12, and 68 PIMs in 79 games.
- Mitch Wahl (Abbotsford Heat, Adirondack Phantoms, and Utah Grizzlies) - 64 points (21 goals and 43 assists), minus-19, and 125 PIMs in 66 games.
- Jason Akeson (Adirondack Phantoms and Trenton Titans) – 61 points (21 goals and 40 assists), minus-10, and 32 PIMs in 73 games.
- Kyle Flanagan (Adirondack Phantoms and St. Lawrence University) – 52 points (16 goals and 36 assists), plus-3, and 46 PIMs in 45 games.
- Marcel Noebels (Adirondack Phantoms and Trenton Titans) – 51 points (23 goals and 28 assists), minus-8, and 20 PIMs in 71 games.
- Shane Harper (Adirondack Phantoms and Trenton Titans) – 37 points (19 goals and 18 assists), minus-13, and 35 PIMs in 60 games.
- Tye McGinn (Philadelphia Flyers and Adirondack Phantoms) – 31 points (17 goals and 14 assists), minus-8, and 73 PIMs in 61 games.
- Derek Mathers (Adirondack Phantoms and Peterborough Petes) – 30 points (11 goals and 19 assists), minus-4, and 147 PIMs in 74 games.
- Garrett Roe (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – 25 points (12 goals and 13 assists), minus-4, and 39 PIMs in 54 games.
- Matt Mangene (Adirondack Phantoms and Trenton Titans) – 17 points (Five goals and 12 assists), minus-19, and 31 PIMs in 50 games.
- Eric Wellwood (Philadelphia Flyers and Adirondack Phantoms) – 17 points (Nine goals and Eight assists), minus-4, and 10 PIMs in 62 games.
- Andrew Johnston (Adirondack Phantoms and Trenton Titans) – 16 points (Five goals and 11 assists), minus-16, and 13 PIMs in 47 games.
- Ben Holmstrom (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – Eight points (Two goals and Six assists), plus-3, and 29 PIMs in 22 games.
- Michael Parks (University of North Dakota, NCAA) – Eight points (Seven goals and One assist), minus-3, and 31 PIMs in 24 games.
- Tyler Brown (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – Six points (Three goals and Three assists), minus-10, and 30 PIMs in 55 games.
- Petr Placek (Harvard University, NCAA) – Two goals, minus-10, and 16 PIMs in 29 games.
- Blake Kessel (Adirondack Phantoms and Trenton Titans) – 43 points (Eight goals and 35 assists), minus-5, and 36 PIMs in 59 games.
- Erik Gustafsson (Philadelphia Flyers and Adirondack Phantoms) – 27 points (Six goals and 21 assists), minus-18, and 39 PIMs in 59 games.
- Colin Suellentrop (Oshawa Generals, OHL) – 27 points (Six goals and 21 assists), plus-3, and 60 PIMs in 75 games.
- Shayne Gostisbehere (Union College, NCAA) – 26 points (Eight goals and 18 assists) and 39 PIMs in 36 games.
- Brandon Manning (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – 21 points (Six goals and 15 assists), minus-28, and 135 PIMs in 65 games.
- Tyler Hostetter (Trenton Titans, ECHL) – 16 assists, minus-11, and 37 PIMs in 38 games.
- Nick Luukko (University of Vermont, NCAA) – 10 points (Three goals and Seven assists) and 26 PIMs in 36 games.
- Fredric Larsson (Brynas J20, SuperElit) – 10 points (Four goals and Six assists), plus-1, and 134 PIMs in 41 games.
- Mark Alt (Adirondack Phantoms and University of Minnesota) – Eight assists, plus-20, and 20 PIMs in 42 games.
- Valeri Vasilyev (Moscow Spartak, KHL and MHC Spartak, MHL) – Eight points (Three goals and Five assists), plus-4, and 87 PIMs in 62 games.
- Matthew Konan (Adirondack Phantoms and Trenton Titans) – Seven points (Two goals and Five assists), minus-11, and 56 PIMs in 47 games.
- Oliver Lauridsen (Philadelphia Flyers and Adirondack Phantoms) – Seven points (One goal and Six assists), minus-4, and 92 PIMs in 67 games.
- Reece Willcox (Cornell University, NCAA) – Five assists, plus-3, and eight PIMs in 34 games.
- Marc-Andre Bourdon (Adirondack Phantoms, AHL) – Four points (One goal and Three assists), minus-5, and 59 PIMs in 17 games.
- Anthony Stolarz (London Knights and University of Nebraska-Omaha) – 13-3-2, 2.29 GAA, and .920 save percentage in regular season and 8-1-0, 4.76 GAA, and .946 save percentage in the playoffs with the London Knights. 2-5-0, 2.56 GAA, and .898 save percentage with the Mavericks.
- Cal Heeter (Adirondack Phantoms and Trenton Titans) – 11-15-3, 2.98 GAA, and .907 save percentage with the Phantoms. 3-3-0, 3.18 GAA, and .900 save percentage with the Titans.