Phantoms Get Bit Late In Third By Wolf Pack

The Adirondack Phantoms (1-1-0-1) performed well in their home opener in front of a sellout crowd of 5,031, only to fall to the Hartford Wolf Pack (3-0-0-1) in their final season in Glens Falls.

Mark Alt and Ben Holmstrom scored for the Phantoms but it wasn’t enough as Brodie Dupont’s late third period goal was the difference in the game.

It only took 1:16 into the game for the Phantoms to take their first penalty as Zack FitzGerald got called for boarding. Adirondack was able to regain their composure and kill the penalty from the early mishap.

Hartford opened the scoreing at 6:12 in the first period as J.T. Miller was able to get the second rebound chance past Cal Heeter. Heeter seemed a bit uneasy, playing most of the period deep in his crease. Not sure if it was jitters from his first start of the season or what.

Mark Alt tied the game midway through the first as he blasted it from above the left circle past Hartford goaltender Cameron Talbot. It was an impressive shot and a good boost for the team.

Adirondack took the lead with just 53 seconds left in the period as Holmstrom poked in a rebound to give his team the momentum heading into the first intermission.

Hartford Killed the Phantoms first period momentum as Tommy Hughes got one past Heeter at 1:12 into the 2nd. From there on out it was a completely different game from the first.

Both teams could not complete a pass to save their lives. Heeter and Talbot kept the puck out of their nets in between whistle after whistle.

The penalty fest started when Derek Mathers checked a Hartford player from behind causing a pile up in the corner resulting in a ten minute conference between referees who dished out 2 minutes to Mathers for boarding, 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike and a 10 minute game misconduct to FitzGerald, 2 minutes unsportsmanlike misconduct to Hartford’s Aaron Johnson, and a 10 minute game miscondiuct to Hartford’s Micheal Haley.
After that it was an additional 20 minutes of penalties resulting in 5-on4′s, 4-on4′s and 5-on-3′s for the rest of the period. The Phantoms ended the second with 5 seconds remaining on the power play.

“The referees just had enough of what was going on, a lot of chippy play,” said Phantoms head coach Terry Murrey. “They just wanted to settle it out”.

Both teams seemed to settle down in the third and started to play hockey again. Adirondack had the majority of the opportunities playing a solid third period only to have a lucky deflection by Brodie Dupont give Hartford the lead for good at 17:53.

It was only the third game into the season but this team already looks different from the past four seasons. They are playing as a team, communicating and moving the puck. They carried the puck into the offensive zone instead of the horrible dump and chase. The biggest thing of all is they didn’t collapse after a goal against. This could be a sign of things to come in the final season in Glens Falls.