The Flyers have sent Kris Newbury back to the Adirondack Phantoms per Anthony SanFilippo. The combination of the play of Tye McGinn and Michael Raffl as well as the return of Vincent Lecavalier made Newbury expendable. He’ll be remembered for that keen assist against the Hurricanes and for not being Jay Rosehill.
Kimmo Timonen has apparently been demoted to the second power play unit in favor of Mark Streit. This makes a ton of sense given how many times Kimmo has fumbled the puck at the blue line and Streit’s excellent slap shot on the man advantage this season. Kimmo isn’t taking the demotion lightly, having already placed several prank calls to head coach Craig Berube.
Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer recently wrote a piece stating that the Flyers should trade for Buffalo Sabres forward Thomas Vanek. While Vanek is a fantastic talent, this would be a silly move for the Flyers for a litany of reasons:
- Vanek would probably be a rental and is widely speculated to be going to the Minnesota Wild as a free agent this summer.
- Vanek carries a cap hit of $7.1 million, which is great for a team that is constantly juggling salary cap issues and stashing money away in LTIR like it’s Walter White’s crawl space.
- Vanek is going to require a high price from the Flyers, one that they probably shouldn’t pay. Surely the Sabres will want someone like Schenn or Couturier. Or, an even worse proposition, they might want us to take Ville Leino back. No no no no no no.
The big Flyer being bandied about for not letting the door hit his ass on the way out has been defenseman Andrej Meszaros. The Flyers have supposedly offered him to every NHL team and received a fistful of mehs in return.
- Elliot Friedman thinks the Flyers might be better off letting Meszaros’ contract expire. Paul Holmgren thinks this is pure nonsense. Salary cap space is “use it or lose it” like work PTO, correct?
- I’ve heard names like the Oilers, Senators, and Avalanche bounced around for Mez, but it really does seem like the team will just have to keep him throughout the year. Don’t worry, I’m sure there will be more than enough injuries to get Andrej the Giant into the lineup to show what he’s got.
Eklund is still convinced that the Flyers have the hots for Winnipeg Jets defenseman (most of the time) Dustin Byfuglien. Yes, yes, I am taking this with the usual grain of salt. I don’t need 5,000 comments below about Eklund. But the very idea of Byfuglien in orange and black is both amusing and horrifying.
- Given the reported issues with Big Buf’s weight and work ethic, the Philadelphia media would be on permanent Buf Watch.
- I can’t imagine the fan base would take him much better, given how easily Flyers fans can label a player as lazy or flat out terrible.
- I’m sure the Flyers would never switch him back and forth from defense and offense. Not in a million years…
Steven Stamkos and Bobby Ryan? Still not Flyers (yet). Sorry.
Got any rumors for the roundup? Shoot us a line on Twitter @flyers_faithful